Selling

How I Help a Seller Decide Whether to Take an Offer or Keep Negotiating

By , REALTOR® serving Fleetwood, Fraser Heights and Tynehead

Quick answer: When a seller has a workable offer, I do not reduce the decision to whether we can squeeze out a little more. I look at what the market has actually told us, how much real leverage we have, what the offer solves, what another round of negotiation could improve, and what we risk by pushing further. Sometimes the right move is to counter. Sometimes it is to wait. Sometimes the better decision is to protect the deal already in front of us.

Once a workable offer is in front of a seller, the decision usually gets harder, not easier. The number is real now. So are the terms. So is the possibility of losing the buyer if we keep pushing.

That is where I think representation matters. My job is not to tell a seller to take the first decent offer. It is also not to keep negotiating just so it looks like I am fighting for every last dollar. My job is to help the seller understand what they have, what they might gain by pushing, what they could lose, and whether the next move actually improves the deal.

I Start With What the Market Has Already Told Us

Before I recommend accepting, countering or waiting, I go back to the evidence around the listing. That starts with the same question I use when I evaluate an offer for a seller beyond the price: what is the seller actually getting, and how much certainty sits behind it?

How long have we been on the market? How many showings have we had? What has the feedback been? Have we had second showings? Is there anybody else genuinely interested? Are comparable homes selling, sitting, reducing or terminating?

That matters because wanting more money and having leverage to get more money are two different things. If the property has strong activity and buyers are still circling, I may be very comfortable continuing to negotiate. If the market has already had a good look at the property and this is the first serious buyer, I read that differently.

Real Leverage Is Something I Can Point To

I like leverage I can actually see. Another serious showing. A second showing. Another agent telling me their buyer is preparing an offer. Multiple parties asking detailed questions. Comparable properties supporting a stronger number. Those are useful signals.

What I do not want to do is build a negotiation around:

“I think somebody else will pay more.”

Maybe they will. But I cannot negotiate against an imaginary buyer.

If we are going to risk something real, I want the seller to understand what evidence supports that risk.

Sometimes the Right Move Is to Keep Pushing

There are absolutely times when I think the seller should keep negotiating. Maybe the offer is below where the market activity says it should be. Maybe the property just launched and we have a strong weekend of showings ahead. Maybe another serious buyer is clearly in the mix. Maybe the buyer has left room in the offer and I believe we can improve the price or terms without unnecessarily damaging the deal.

In those situations, I am comfortable pushing. I may counter the price. I may tighten a date. I may ask for a stronger deposit. I may use another offer or credible interest as leverage where appropriate. I am not trying to avoid negotiation. I am trying to make sure the negotiation has a reason behind it.

Sometimes the Better Move Is to Protect the Deal

The opposite can be true too. If the price is reasonable, the subjects are workable, the dates fit, the deposit gives me confidence and the seller’s next move works, I start looking very carefully at what another round of negotiation is supposed to accomplish.

Maybe there is another $10,000 available. Maybe there is not. The important question is not simply whether more would be nice. It is whether the possible improvement is worth the risk of changing a deal that already solves the seller’s problem.

That is where negotiating harder and negotiating better can become two different things.

I Ask One Question That Usually Clarifies the Conversation

One question I like to ask is:

Is there any reason this offer does not work for you besides price?

That usually tells us a lot. Maybe the completion date creates a real problem. Maybe the subject period is too long. Maybe possession does not fit. Maybe the seller’s next purchase depends on a different timeline. Those are real issues.

But if everything else works and the only concern is wanting a little more money, then we can focus on that one trade-off properly.

What do we think we can gain? What do we risk losing? And what evidence tells us which side of that decision is stronger?

Days on Market Matters, but Buyer Behaviour Matters More

I do not treat days on market like a formula. Seven days with twenty showings is not the same as seven days with two. Thirty days in one price range can mean something different from thirty days in another.

What matters to me is what happened during those days. Did serious buyers come through? Did anybody come back? Did we hear the same objection repeatedly? Did comparable listings sell while ours sat? Did the market accept our price range or keep choosing other properties instead?

That tells me more than the number of days by itself.

The Cost of Waiting Belongs in the Decision

Waiting can have a cost. There may be another mortgage payment, taxes, insurance, utilities, strata fees, bridge-financing pressure or carrying costs around the next home. Sometimes the extra amount a seller wants looks different once we compare it with the cost of another month or two.

There is also the market side. A fresh listing and a listing buyers have watched sit for weeks do not always carry the same negotiating position. If we lose a serious buyer now, the next buyer may have more leverage later.

That does not mean we rush. It means the cost of waiting deserves to be visible.

I Look at the Sale and the Next Move Together

If the seller is buying another property, I do not look at the sale in isolation. This is where coordinating the sale and purchase as one connected move matters, because the best decision on one side can create pressure on the other if the timing is not thought through.

Maybe the current offer lines up beautifully with the next purchase. Maybe the dates reduce bridge-financing pressure. Maybe certainty on this sale makes the next transaction much easier to manage. Or maybe the seller has no pressure at all and can comfortably wait.

Those details change the advice. The best decision on the sale is the one that fits the seller’s actual situation, not just the highest theoretical number we can imagine.

I Will Test a Buyer, but I Watch the Response

Sometimes a counteroffer is useful because it tells me something. If we improve the price request, tighten the timeline or strengthen another term, how does the buyer respond? Do they move quickly? Do they explain their limit clearly? Does their agent stay organized? Do they suddenly back away?

The response gives us information. That is useful. But I do not think every successful counter has to be followed by another one. There is a point where repeatedly asking for more simply because the other side has kept saying yes can create unnecessary friction.

That is what I mean when I say:

Don’t poke the bear.

You negotiate while the negotiation is improving the seller’s position. You do not have to keep poking at a deal just to prove you negotiated.

I Do Not Automatically Split the Difference

If the seller wants one number and the buyer is at another, I do not automatically split the difference. The middle is just arithmetic. It does not tell me what the property is worth. It does not tell me how much leverage we have. It does not tell me whether another buyer is likely to appear.

I would rather understand the market, the seller’s real bottom line, the buyer’s behaviour and what another move is likely to accomplish. Sometimes the midpoint happens to make sense. Sometimes it does not.

The First Offer Can Be the Right Offer

A good offer arriving quickly can make a seller wonder whether they should wait. If one buyer showed up this fast, maybe another buyer will pay more. That can happen. But a first offer does not become weak just because it arrived first.

I think about it the same way I think about buyers looking at homes. You do not need to see ten houses before the first one can be the right house. The first offer can be the right offer too.

The question is whether the offer works and whether the market gives us a good reason to believe waiting will improve the outcome.

I Cannot Remove Uncertainty, but I Can Make the Trade-Off Clear

There is always some uncertainty in these decisions. A seller can accept an offer and later wonder whether another buyer might have paid more. A seller can also reject a workable offer, lose the buyer, sit longer and later wish they had protected the deal they already had.

There is no way to guarantee that every dollar was captured. What I can do is make sure the decision is grounded in the information we actually have at the time.

That is the standard I care about.

My Recommendation Should Be Clear, but the Decision Is Still the Seller’s

There are times when I will say:

I think we should keep pushing.

There are other times when I will say:

I think this deal works, and I would protect it.

That is the recommendation part of the job. I do not want to pressure the seller into my answer, and I do not want to sit on the fence when they hired me for judgment. I want to explain why I see it the way I do, what the trade-off is, and what I think the stronger decision is.

Then the seller decides. If they choose to counter again after I recommend protecting the deal, I represent that decision. If they choose to accept after I think there is still room to push, I represent that too.

The goal is not for the seller to obey me. The goal is for them to make the decision with their eyes open.

Final Thought

A good negotiation is not measured by how many times we counter. It is measured by whether each move improves the seller’s position enough to justify the risk.

Sometimes that means pushing harder. Sometimes it means giving the market more time. Sometimes it means recognizing that the deal in front of us already works.

My job is to help the seller understand the difference.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do you decide whether a seller should accept or counter an offer?

I look at the price and terms, but also at the listing activity, competing interest, comparable behaviour, the seller's timing and what another round of negotiation is realistically likely to improve. The decision is not just whether more money would be nice. It is whether pushing further makes sense given the leverage we actually have.

Should a seller always negotiate a first offer?

No. Sometimes there is a strong reason to counter, and sometimes the first offer already works well enough that protecting the deal is the better decision. I look at the offer, the activity around the property and the seller's situation before making a recommendation.

How do you know whether a seller has real leverage?

I look for evidence such as strong showing activity, second showings, credible competing interest, another offer or comparable properties supporting a stronger number. Hoping another buyer appears is different from having leverage I can actually point to.

Does days on market determine whether a seller should accept?

Not by itself. I care more about what happened during those days. Heavy showing activity, second showings and real buyer interest create a different negotiating position from weak activity and no competing interest, even if the days on market are the same.

How does the seller's next purchase affect the negotiation?

It can change the decision materially. Completion dates, carrying costs, bridge-financing pressure and the need for certainty can all affect whether another round of negotiation is worth the risk. I look at the whole move, not just the sale price in isolation.

What if the seller wants to keep negotiating after you recommend protecting the deal?

The seller makes the decision. I explain the trade-off, give my recommendation and then represent the instruction they give me. My role is to make the risk and upside clear enough that the seller can make an informed decision, not to force the outcome.

Trying to decide whether to take the offer or keep negotiating?

If you have a real offer in front of you, we can look at the leverage, activity, timing, certainty and what the deal means for your next move before deciding what to do next.

Talk through the offer

Part of the guide

Selling

Keep exploring the questions that matter when you are deciding whether a Surrey home fits your move.

Explore Selling